contact us

Whether you are a homeowner, an industry professional, fellow blogger or just curious to know more about the place home, we are excited to hear from you. 

Email us directly at, connect with us through social media or submit the form!


123 Street Avenue, City Town, 99999

(123) 555-6789


You can set your address, phone number, email and site description in the settings tab.
Link to read me page with more information.






Filtering by Tag: carpentry

finalized design for the built in

Emily Oster

The big house update this week is that our project room built in is under construction and should be installed early next week! The below drawing is basically what it will look like.

After quite a few hours of researching radiator covers and doing some redrawing, I delivered this design to Jeff and our carpenter - Jon. On Wednesday, Jon came over to review the details and iron out the construction of the piece. 

A few design details to point out:
1. I added in storage by making the area to the left and right of the radiator large cubbies.
2. The face framing on the bookcase now continues all the way to the floor creating a visual distinction between the bookcase element and the bench. Jon and I also decided to vary the depths between the two pieces to create further differentiation. The cubbies are roughly 24" deep while the bookcase is 16".
3. We created multiple points of access to the radiator. The interior mesh side panels (mesh to allow for maximum air flow) will be able to pop off. The bench seat will have a removable panel and the front radiator screen will also be able to come off.
4. I decided to recess the radiator panel back so that it didn't look so flat and adhered against the frame. I also added in slots on the top and bottom to create more air flow.

Some changes not indicated on the drawing:
1. An additional vertical face frame will be added to both of the cubbies to create further support for the long bench seat. This makes the width of the cubbies 1.5" smaller.
2. Jon will add a lip to the top of the bench so that a seat cushion will not just slide off.
3. An access panel to a wall outlet hidden behind the false back of the bookcase will be incorporated. This is for code reasons but also will allow us to add a sconce light in the future if we choose to do so.
4. 1" x 1/8" face framing will be applied to the side panel to break up the flat plane of white material.
5. We most like will have to split the radiator panel with a vertical piece as the aluminum mesh appears to only be readily available in 36" wide sheets. As it is drawn, we would need a 50" width. 

Jon and I also discussed other construction details that I won't bore you with here. Working in the industry and on numerous projects with Jon, I have come to have a huge respect for finish carpenters. The planning that goes into a relatively simple piece even like this is rather extensive. And while I concern myself mainly just with the design, Jon has to be able to conceptualize both the design and execution - dealing in 1/16" increments, knowing lumber dimensions, non square corners, joinery details etc. I think the piece is going to come out great and I am super excited to see the finished product. Stay tuned!

Have a great weekend everyone!

researching the built in for the "project room"

Emily Oster

While no visible progress has been made on the "project room" for the past two weeks (it still looks just like this), I did officially order the mountain grass flooring and get our carpenter in queue to return to build the built in bookcase and window seat. This, of course, means I need to work out the particulars of the design asap. 

We decided to do a built in when we uncovered the rotted out floor boards surrounding the radiator. Our original plan was to paint the floor and the built in provided a way around not having to replace the bad boards. When we decided to do mountain grass flooring instead, the built in became less needed but a feature we still wanted to have. It also will allow us to hold the flooring away from the radiator. This will hopefully prevent any immediate moisture from the radiator from getting trapped in the pad or flooring. So while the built in is a rather large expense for us it checks boxes in the functional and aesthetic columns making it easier to justify the cost.

This is what the initial drawing looked like..

project room built in sketch

project room built in sketch

I essentially made it super simple and didn't give too much thought to the radiator element of it. After coming back to it after a couple of months later, I see quite a few issues with the design.

1. The long screen piece across the middle panel is too long. It would be super flimsy and I am not even sure if the material comes that long.

2. The design does not allow for the radiator to "breathe" enough. I had a technician out to the house and he described radiators as like lungs that need air space all around them so they can "breathe" heat. I had given this some thought in my initial design but I am worried more air needs to circulate in order to properly heat the room.

3. Access to the radiator was TBD and now needs to be finalized - top hatch? removable seat? doors?

4. Quarter round needs to be across the whole front in order to secure down and finish off the flooring. This limits the possible ways to vent the radiator from the bottom.

Below are some images that I have been looking at to help guide me in resolving the above mentioned issues with my initial design. I also plan to consult Jeff and our carpenter before finalizing the design. Stay tuned!

The slotted vents - source unknown

The slotted vents - source unknown

Drilled holes as vents - via  Stately Kitsch

Drilled holes as vents - via Stately Kitsch

Hinge door access - source unknown

Hinge door access - source unknown

Large panel - via  From Scandinavia With Love

Large panel - via From Scandinavia With Love